This fieldstone as shown in the left photo was discovered June 2005 when brush was removed from the northeast corner of the cemetery. It is located 8 feet southwest of the northeast fence corner post.
The stone was uncovered, cleaned and placed upright facing west as shown in the right photo. Dimensions are 12" H, 10" W and 5" D. Stone fragments found during excavation were placed in a plastic bag and buried directly behind the stone (east side). The stone has the shape of a typical fieldstone grave marker. There appears to be a faint "W W" inscribed on the face of the stone. The marker could date from as early as the late 1600's.
|Cove Cemetery||Cemetery List||Home|