South Truro Meeting House
Site of The South truro Meeting House
A building of great beauty overlooked
sweeping moorelands to the sea.
Holding 500 people, it was the social center for the
community, a landmark for mariners and a
favorite subject for artists.
1851 Meeting House Built
1876 Church Declines
1925 Building Closed
1936 Building Deeded to the
1940 Building Struck by
Lightning and Burned
1957 Land Deeded to the
Town of Truro for Park
1851 SITE OF 1940
THE SOUTH TRURO
DESTROYED BY FIRE MARCH 21st 1940
THE TRURO NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION
The South Truro Meeting House was located on the west side of Old County Road less than a mile from Pine Grove Cemetery. The sign and plaque are at the site of the Meeting House. The plaque is attached to a large boulder.