MEETING HOUSE PLAIN
Meeting House Plain Monument
This stone commemorates Provincetown's
early settlers, the first meeting house, and
the founders of the Winthrop Street
The meeting house was built near this spot
in 1717 - 1718. Settlers called the area
"Meeting House Plain."
The cemetery reflects the colonial American
practice of locating graveyards near
churches. The first known burial took place
on the plain in 1723
This monument stand in front of the cemetery.